Bartlett Place is the name of an innovative urban mixed-use development that will create a brand new neighborhood bridging Roxbury’s bustling Dudley Square and the adjoining historic Fort Hill community. On a site that today is an urban wasteland, the new Bartlett Place will create a vibrant, sustainable mixed-income community. Guided by a comprehensive community vision embodied in the Roxbury Strategic Master Plan, Bartlett Place will:
- Provide a variety of new homes ranging from apartment buildings to townhomes for 312 households, including a wide mix of incomes, renters and homeowners, families, singles and seniors.
- Bring new shopping opportunities and services to a neighborhood with tremendous buying power but limited retail options.
- Create jobs, including construction jobs over a 3-year buildout period permanent jobs in the small businesses that will operate at Bartlett Place along the Washington Street commercial corridor.
- Be LEED- certifiable for new housing (LEED for Homes) and new commercial construction (LEED-NC), by incorporating passive solar heating, geothermal heat pumps, rain and gray water recycling and safe, renewable finishes and materials and other green features.
- Promote lively streetscapes outside of homes and business, with easy connections to neighboring Fort Hill streets.
- Reduce auto dependence, being located one-quarter mile from the busiest bus terminal in Massachusetts, and provide easy walking access to housing, jobs and schools.
- Transform a contaminated brownfield site into safe, welcoming homes, public plazas and play areas for families and neighbors.
- Use recycled site materials to build infrastructure.
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation and its partner Windale Development, a locally-based developer and general contractor, purchased the Bartlett Place site - an abandoned 8.5 acre bus yard - from the MBTA in 2010. Windale Development brings a strong track record for developing high quality single-family and townhome developments in Roxbury.
Articles on Bartlett Place